Sunday, November 8, 2020

Veggie Combo at Firehouse Subs

I occasionally go to Firehouse Subs for a Veggie sub. To make the Veggie sub vegan I ordered it on white bread with no mayonnaise, no cheese, and no mushrooms. 

This meal was very good. The lettuce and spicy mustard go very well with the sauteed peppers. I love this sandwich with Dave Insanity Sauce and a side of Fritos. The pickle speak makes it even better.

I've been getting mixed information about the sauteed mushrooms that is usually included with the Veggie. Some employees and managers have said the mushrooms are marinated in Worcestershire sauce and contains anchovies. Other sources say it is made with a plant-based Worcestershire sauce. I'd rather not have doubts about it so I just order it without mushrooms. The website currently shows no fish or shellfish allergens for that ingredient.

On this visit I didn't even see this sub listed on the menu. I had to ask if they still had it. Maybe I just didn't notice it. Firehouse Subs is not as vegan friendly as I'd like. This is the only vegan meal they make as far as I know. They clearly serve the omnivore crowd. But it's good to know there's something herbivores can eat. And this is really good; good enough to create an occasional Firehouse craving.

Also I should mention that the Firehouse Subs house sauce is not vegan. It's made with anchovies. So if you go get some hot sauce, be sure to check the ingredients. There's usually a couple dozen hot sauces from which to chose. Many of them are vegan. But beware. They are often insanely hot. 

Click here to see the Firehouse Subs website

No comments:

Post a Comment